Saturday, August 14, 2010

First Principles.

In the winter of 2001 I was talking to a lot of people to gather ideas for what would become Global National. Eventually four quotes resonated loudest with me:

From George Browne, GN's Founding Executive Producer, on how to re-enforce distinctiveness:
"Show me something I haven't seen. Tell me something I didn't know."

From a Globe & Mail editor on why the National Post (at that time) was building circulation rapidly:
"I think what attracts me to the Post is the element of surprise. Every day it does something that is somewhat unique; it makes me raise an eyebrow. It treats me as if I'm intelligent, but edgy. It writes about news and finance and sports, but also sex and entertainment. And it does it with wit and freshness".

From pollster Conrad Winn on Global News' brand identity at the time and our challenge:
"Global News is a very nice place to have a weak cup of coffee. If I were you I'd figure out a way to make espresso" 

My first e-mail to Global staff on the day I was appointed, Februray 4, 2001. I wanted to define the mission.
"We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to redefine what national news is in Canada. To merely duplicate what the others do would be wrong and a terrible waste of opportunity. We must be original. We must be distinctive. We must find ways to be more authentic in the hearts and minds of our viewers."

No comments:

Post a Comment