Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Regrets

I didn't accomplish everything I'd hoped to at Global National.
Here are some of my failures:
1. We ask more from our staff of correspondents and photojournalists than anywhere else I've worked in TV. The earliest national news deadline in North America with the fewest resources.  Yet our pay standards are an industry low and inconsistent among our team.
2. I was never able to convince the union and company to adopt a professional development culture than meant we could move our staff within Canada without them having to lose seniority and their pension status.
3. While we made some progress, I felt our million nightly viewers weren't as valued internally as entertainment shows with a fraction of those numbers and less prestige upside to the brand.
4. Has the 'questioning culture' and  mission "to tell viewers something they didn't know, show them something they haven't seen" survived?
5.  Format came to dominate inventive storytelling over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment