Friday, August 20, 2010

How I said goodbye to the viewers.


So here we are.
About a decade ago when I came back home from the States to start building Global National I spent two weeks alone driving Canada, stopping at all the in between places to listen and learn what sensible everyday Canadians were thinking. I knew I needed to reconnect.
At one point on that drive I thought to myself, “I better think about how I’ll want to sign-off. It seems to be something Anchors need to figure out.”. We’re Canadians, so a polite thank you seemed right. I wanted to share the news, not broadcast it at you. And I knew you were always busy at the dinner hour - so sharing your time seemed appropriate. And sharing it with us was important because I wanted you to appreciate that the real strength of our newscast has been our small and incredibly dedicated team of storytellers.
And Its a good thing I took the time then to think those things through, because the past ten years have been so busy.
Two wars, the rise of suicide attacks, a financial crash, a devastating tsunami, earthquakes. So much misery and destruction. But also joy. Laughing with young African Americans on Obamas election night. Hockey with our troops in Afghanistan. Being inspired by Everyday Heroes. Singing O Canada with a full heart alongside joyous Canadians at the Olympics. And so many uplifting Revolutions - in politics, communications, and science.
That youve been willing to listen to my stories is the greatest gift of my professional life. They havent always been as thorough as Id like, but I want you to know I always approached them with empathy, honesty, and a strong sense of what my ethical duty is to you. I have respected your trust in me and never taken it lightly.
I have no idea if this is the last youll see of me. I hope not. I have many more stories to tell. But in case it is, I hope youll understand if I publicly thank my family who has made it possible for me to feed my curiosity for the past thirty years in journalism. My parents and sisters who watched and worried about me. My children Alex and Erica who shared their father with a demanding profession. In spite of my absences they grew to be loving, independent, and accomplished adults. And that is mostly because of my wife Cathy. She has shouldered so much family responsibility and time alone. And been by my side for every career high and low. I havent been very good at showing up for things in this job. Now, honey, for a little while anyway, you can count on me.
Thank you to Global for the opportunity to be part of something new and worthy. Thank you to my brothers and sisters at Global National.  I hope were always friends. But most of all - thank YOU for sharing your time with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment